“Sustainable fashion is a movement and process of fostering change to fashion products and the fashion system towards greater ecological integrity and social justice.” – wikipedia
The opposite of sustainable fashion is fast fashion.
“Fast fashion is a term used to describe a highly profitable and exploitative business model based on replicating catwalk trends and high-fashion designs, mass-producing them at low cost.” – wikipedia
The problem with fast fashion?
Waste, air pollution, water pollution, and unsafe labor conditions.
Read more here and here.
Choosing sustainable fashion is choosing compassion and health for ourselves, those we love, and all life.
our own closet
* reduce items to those few you truly love and look great wearing
* repair items or recycle with Ridwell
* create a uniform to simplify
* rotate those same favorites over and over… seriously, no one will notice
* donate clothes to friends
* coordinate a clothing swap with friends
local consignment stores
* common threads
local thrift stores
online consignment stores
african wax fabric, vintage deadstock textiles
* the oula company
* the oula company @ nordstrom
* denver, woman owned small business
* designed and made in usa
* pact: favorite leggings with pocket
* blue canoe
* united by blue
* coyuchi: favorite jogger
* duckworth: wool & clothing made in usa
* celtic & co.: donegal wool made in uk
* united by blue: wool
* naadam: cashmere
* outerknown: denim
Did you know that bamboo clothing is not sustainable?
Read here why padagonia doesn’t use bamboo.
Are your values being reflected in your fashion?